ADVERTISING TERMS & CONDITIONS
The Village Voice was founded in 1995 and is a free-issue community magazine for the Derbyshire Peak District village of Tideswell and neighbouring settlements. It is independent, non-profit and operated by volunteers in accordance with a formal constitution. Expenditure relates to printing and logistical items. Income is derived from the sale of advertising space and sponsorship. The postal address is The Village Voice, c/o Queen Street, Tideswell, Buxton, SK17 8PF; the email address relevant to these Terms & Conditions is firstname.lastname@example.org.
(1) These Terms & Conditions relate to business carried out between The Village Voice organisers, "the management", and advertisers or sponsors, "you". They apply to any and all advertising in, and sponsorship involving, The Village Voice, "the magazine".
(2) The Terms & Conditions override any terms stipulated by you on order forms or elsewhere, unless the management accepts your variations in writing.
2. Placing Orders
(1) Your order or instruction for advertising or sponsorship must be sent in writing to the management. This order or instruction can be as simple as an emailed note if that is your preference. On receipt by the management, the advertising or sponsorship acceptance and other administrative processes can begin.
3. Standards & Obligations
(1) By issuing an order or instruction you confirm and warrant to the management that the advertising or sponsorship material you supply or ask to have created on your behalf will be: legal, decent, honest and truthful; accurate and complete; free from any breach of relevant rules and regulations, including the provisions of the Advertising Standards Code of Practice; free from any breach of relevant legislation; free from any defamatory element; free from any infringement of copyright, trademarks or other legal rights of any person, company or body; and you must have received consent to portray or refer to people or products included.
(2) Furthermore, you agree to indemnify the management in respect of all costs, damages and other charges incurred as a result of claims in connection with the publication of your advertising or sponsorship material.
(3) The management reserves the right to refuse to accept orders and instructions, without providing any reason. No guarantee is given that an advert will appear or that publication of the magazine will occur.
(1) Bookings can be accepted up to and including the 10th of any month for advertising or sponsorship to appear in the magazine's next edition. The 10th of the month is also the payments deadline. Beyond the 10th of the month, bookings will be considered for the edition after the next edition.
(2) The deadline for artwork and copy instructions is the 10th of the month, otherwise the advertising or sponsorship will be postponed until the edition after the next edition. Your subsequent approval of new material produced from instructions, if required, must be made by the 15th of the month, otherwise the advertising or sponsorship will be postponed until the edition after the next edition.
5. Payment Terms
(1) Payment in full must be received by the management not later then the 10th of the month for insertion in the next edition and beyond if applicable, otherwise there will be postponement. On acceptance of your order and instructions, confirmation will be issued to you in the form of an advertising invoice. The due date shown for payment in full by bank transfer, cheque or cash will be the 10th of the month if your material is to be included in the next edition.
(2) Should the invoice not be settled in full by the 10th of the month, the advertising or sponsorship will be postponed until the edition after the next edition and in the case of a series, all insertions will be moved back by one month. This new date for insertion will be subject to settlement in full by the 10th of that month, otherwise the advertising or sponsorship will be cancelled. Because The Village Voice is not registered for Value Added Tax, no tax will have been applied and the management can expunge the invoice from its records, unless you require a credit note, which would be issued to you on request.
(1) Any paid-for single advertisement cancellation must be made by you in writing, to be received by the management not later than the 10th of the month. Then, your material will be withdrawn prior to the magazine's next edition and a full refund made as soon as the management considers it to be administratively feasible. Should cancellation in writing be received after the 10th of the month, your advert will appear or be deemed to have appeared in the next edition and there will be no refund.
ADVERT SERIES & SPONSORSHIPS
(2) Any paid-for advertising series cancellation must be made by you in writing, to be received by the management not later than the 10th of any month. Then, your material will be withdrawn prior to the magazine's next edition. Should cancellation in writing be received after the 10th of any month, your advert will appear or be deemed to have appeared in the next edition and withdrawal will be made for the edition after that next edition.
(3) The formula for any refund calculations will be the amount you have paid for the advert series, less the number of monthly insertions that have appeared or be deemed to have appeared, multiplied by the single insertion rate applicable at the time of your cancellation. Only resultant amounts of £30 and over will be refunded. Negative amounts will not be applied, so there will be no top-up charge. For sponsorships, the formula for any refund calculations will be the amount you have paid for the sponsorship less the programme's percentage of monthly insertions that have appeared or be deemed to have appeared. Any refund due will be paid as soon as the management considers it to be administratively feasible.
(1) It is your responsibility to provide suitable quality, finished artwork in PDF, TIFF or other workable formats for printing in CMYK colour mode at 300dpi. However, on request, the management will convert text or other copy provided by you into one simple visual for your approval and produce the finished artwork, for use in the magazine. This is a free service but not available for front page solo adverts.
(2) The management will retain copyright and other intellectual property rights in all artwork and related materials produced specifically for you by the management, including when combined with your copyright materials. Unrestricted legal use of the artwork and related materials may be purchased by you, subject to the payment of a mutually agreed fee based on a percentage of the prevailing market price for the creative processes involved, whereupon a copy of the production files will be provided to you. In the absence of such a transaction you may not reproduce the material in any way nor allow it to be reproduced in any way, without prior written consent.
(3) Whilst taking all reasonable care, the management will not accept liability for errors, misprints, omissions, inaccuracies, distortion or colour change in the reproduction of your advertising or sponsorship material, whether or not supplied by you. Nor will liability be accepted for accidental loss or damage to your material.
8. Related Matters
(1) The management reserves all rights connected with the content and publication of the magazine.
(2) The management will be free to use your advertising or sponsorship material in its possession on the magazine's website, its social media platforms, in electronic format and archived, without permissions, restrictions or charge.
(3) Your contact details will be held on file by the management, but solely for the purposes of communications with you in relation to the magazine and the recording of financial transactions. Your stored details can be inspected by arrangement. They will not be shared with third parties without your specific permission. The magazine's managing editor is the data controller and protection officer.
(4) The management reserves the right to alter these Terms & Conditions from time to time and will endeavour to provide you with notice of changes if you are likely to be affected.
(5) Nothing in these Terms & Conditions will override your statutory rights or exclude or limit the management's liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence, for its fraudulent activity or otherwise to the extent it would be illegal to do so. These Terms & Conditions and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with them are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
•• Terms & Conditions as amended on and applicable from 1 October 2020 ••